Redundant packaging mailing lists

Heiko Becker mail at heiko-becker.de
Tue Jul 28 17:30:45 BST 2020

Hey,

On Tuesday, 28 July 2020 18:17:53 CEST, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 15:58 CEST, Nate Graham <nate at kde.org> wrote:
>
>> I just discovered that we have two mailing lists about distro packaging:
>> distributions at kde.org and kde-distro-packagers at kde.org. The archives for
>> both show recent activity. Feels like we should collapse one into the
>> other to avoid this confusing redundancy.
>
> AFAIK distributions at kde.org is a public list and
> kde-distro-packagers at kde.org is a closed list for people with
> access to milonia. I don't think anyone ever posted passwords or
> anything to k-d-p, so unless the announcement of early tarballs
> is considered sensitive, there's not really much of a need for a
> closed list.

IIRC that was only true for kde-packagers, the predecessor of
kde-distro-packagers, which was split into kde-security-announce and
kde-distro-packagers for that reason. If memory serves, distributions was
created roughly at the same time, as a place for distros to discuss common
packaging problems, or something like that.
Anyway, I don't think the distinction is clear enough to everybody and it
makes sense to merge distro-packagers and distributions.

Cheers,
Heiko