Datetime kcm

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Tue Feb 4 11:45:05 GMT 2020

On Monday, 3 February 2020 15:37:56 CET Méven wrote:
> I am working on the datetime kcm and some cleanup would be welcomed there
> IMHO.
>
> Currently, it has two code path, one for timedated/systemd and an older one
> trying to use ntpdate or rdate with a hardcoded list of ntp servers.
>
> I'd like to know if anyone is using / relying on the old ntpdate code path.

FreeBSD uses the ntpdate version. Trying to set the date automatically yields
an uniformative error -- probably a permissions problem.

However, ntpdate is slowly going away, and users are expected to run ntpd
instead. That would make the whole "set automatically" part redundant for us,
at some unspecified point in time.

The hard-coded servers are the usual pools. On the FreeBSD side, the pools are
usually listed as 0.freebsd.pool.ntp.org , rather than geographically, but
that's a minor thing.

[ade]