KDE Applications consistency between KDE4 and Frameworks based applications

Raymond Wooninck tittiatcoke at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 21:26:36 GMT 2016

Hi,

I wanted to raise the concern regarding the consistency between all the
packages delivered within the KDE Applications releases. It seems that we have
certain libs/applications moved to Frameworks already, despite that they are
still a dependency for a KDE4 based application.

Examples of these are libkgeomap, libkipi, libksane, libkexiv, etc.  These are
all dependent libraries for Digikam and Kipi-plugins. These libraries were
removed from the digikam sources with the latest digikam release as that they
were provided separately. With KDE applications 15.12 these libraries are now
Frameworks based, but digikam actually is still KDE4. This creates the issue
that digikam can no longer be build.

Another example is the switch for kdepimlibs, kdepim and kdepim-runtime. Since
15.08 we have a full framework based PIM suite, but this delivers some issues
with regards to other dependencies on kdepimlibs. An example is kgpg, which is
KDE4 based, but has a hard requirement on kdepimlibs. Even if packagers would
keep the kde4-kdepimlibs package, I wonder if kgpg would even be able to
access anything that the frameworks PIM suite offers.

I fear that we would only see an increase in these situations, which would
lead to either one of the following situations:

1)	Distributions will drop whatever is no longer building.
2)	Distributions are forced to keep a big part of the KDE4 libraries in order
to keep everything building. This however is not a guarantee that things are
actually working for the users.

I wonder how other distro KDE packagers are seeing this and how they are
planning to resolve it.  Also I wonder if we, as packagers, can expect
anything from the upstream developers to help in this situation.

Regards
Raymond
openSUSE KDE Community packager