DigiKam 8.3.0 on Windows 7? [Re: digiKam 8.3.0 is released]

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 14:52:18 GMT 2024

Le mar. 19 mars 2024 à 15:32, <plowmail2010 at gmail.com> a écrit :

> The download page at https://download.kde.org/stable/digikam/8.3.0/ shows file names that contain "Qt5".
>
> If I install digiKam-8.3.0-Qt5-Win64-debug.exe on my Windows 7 64-bit system, is it likely to work, perhaps with expected limitations, or will my computer explode?

(:=)))...

No, Windows will not explode...

The legacy cross-compiled version is targeted for Windows 7 and later.
The native version compiled with MSVC is targeted for Windows 10 and
later.

About limitation, the most important is the web service usage (as
Google, Flickr, etc...) which used Webkit as a web engine, instead of
Chromium with the native version. Wetkit is obsolete and deprecated,
especially for security reasons. The web service will probably refuse
a connection with Webkit.

This is why the native version is the future, but it requires Windows
10 at least...

Best

Gilles Caulier