Limitation on tag lenght

Milind Joshi mmjoshi at iitbombay.org
Tue Mar 19 09:50:04 GMT 2024

On 19.03.2024 12:31:28 pm, Gilles Caulier wrote:
> In the Metadata Editor plugin for digiKam and Showfoto, the IPTC tab
> contents has all explanations given in tool-tips about string size
> limitations.
>
> https://imgur.com/a/dOu8ND0

Checked. The limitation is 64 characters. Interestingly, it does allow
the input of more than 64 characters with the characters remaining
counter going negative. Don't know how that is handled. Also, the side
note mentions that IPTC tags have size limitations and advises to use
xmp instead. Most of my images have the tag information stored in IPTC
tags. Is there any way I can bulk move all IPTC:Keywords data to xmp? Is
it really necessary, especially if I can live with the 64 character
limitation for tags?

Is there a simple way to find out which of my tags are exceeding this
limit as I am sure there are some? If I can locate them I can truncate
them to fit the size limitation.