digiKam lost collections after sleep/wakeup of PC

Andrej Valencic andrej.valencic at zoho.com
Wed Jan 31 07:54:51 GMT 2024

Lately I found this little annoyance when using digiKam 8.3.0

I have a Win 11 PC with MariaDB 10.11.6 and DK - all on system SSD disk.
My two collections are on the other SSD disk in the same machine.

Usually I have DK open all the time in the background and only switch to
it when I need. So I found out that after (a very) long time of no
activity on the PC (like overnight when the PC goes to sleep) when I
come back and try to use DK again it doesn't see any collection anymore.
It just shows the initial screen with info about DK and no albums are
present - even if I go to settings there are no collections visible.
Then after I close and start DK again everything is back to normal - all
collections/albums are visible.

I tried this again with debugging on and in the log I see some failed
connection to the database. Also in the Windows log  there are warnings
about aborted connection to MariaDB:

Level    Date and Time    Source    Event ID    Task Category
Warning    31/01/2024 08:02:37    MariaDB    100    None    "Aborted
connection 26 to db: 'dk' user: 'digikam' host: 'localhost' (Got timeout
reading communication packets)

I'm not sure if this is the problem but somebody might take a look into
this.

P.S. The debug log is from the complete session: DK after sleep and no
collections and then after restart with everything working.

Regards,
Andrej