Filtering hierarchical tags

eternel at seznam.cz eternel at seznam.cz
Mon Jan 15 21:14:28 GMT 2024

Hi,

I would like to ask about tags and their filtering functionality. In the
digikam database I have some photos tagged in and exported from darktable.
The tags in darktable are hierarchical like 'places|country|city'. Only the
last tag is given explicitly, the higher levels are given implicitly. In
digikam, when looking at the properties tab, the tag seems to be read
correctly as 'places / country / city'. But when inspecting tags in the
captions tab, only the 'city' tag is set. (The hierarchy is respected
though.) Hence, If I filter the images for the 'city', everything works as
expected. However, if I try to filter fo the 'country', no images are
included. Only if the country is explicitly given as 'places|country'
(without the 'city') together with 'places|country|city'. Is this
intentional? Is it possible to change the behaviour? It seems natural to me
that all parts of the hierarchical tag define the image. Moreover, when
inspecting the image exported from darktable with exiftool, even the
'country' tag is included in the 'Subject' field even when using only the
tag 'places|country|city'.

Thanks in advance!

I tested on digikam 8.1 on linux, release notes of 8.2 does not seem to
mention this.