strange killer of digiKam import

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Thu Jan 11 18:33:27 GMT 2024

I cannot use digiKam tp import from my camera, so have been force to use
a different utility which has a not terribly compatible default
directory structure, that make it almost impossible to find an image
imported by it.

I would love to be able to use digikam. But for an as yet undefined
reason, digiKam or firefox when downloading something I need from the
net, suffers a time delay of at least 30 seconds between my clicking on
the file, sometimes even longer, Firefox seems willing to tolerate
whatever is causing that delay in accessing local storage which is on a
raid10, but I suspect that is a red herring.  Once the file has been
opened, the download proceeds at my normal bottom tier net service rate.

A recent post mentioned kbuildsycoca5, which could somehow be causing a
block, but eventually timing out at which time firefox proceeds
normally. But digiKam seems not willing to wait, so while I can go thru
the motions of selecting the image I can see in the cameras card, and no
errors appear to be logged, The final download goes thru the motions
instantly but does not actually download the selected image(s).

So I do a man kbuildsycoca5 and see that --menutest seems harmless, so I
run it with that argument. Spitting out a very long list of apps it
knows about.

System is bookworm, updated yesterday.
firefox-esr is in that list, is a normal from debian repos install and
is subject to this delay
QIDISlicer, a link to the latest version from QIDI, is an AppImage, and
does not seem to be affected by the delay.
digiKam is also an AppImage, and its startup is lagged by this delay.
OpenSCAD is also the latest linux AppImage, has a delayed startup,
presumably from opening huge caches, but runs normally once its giu opens.

firefox, QDISlicer are known to  kbuildsycoca5
OpenSCAD, and digiKam are not
All except firefox-esr suffer this delay in opening their initial gui or
any write to storage thereafter.

However, at the top of that list is:(word wrapped, I've not found a
switchoff switch in t-bird)

gene at coyote:/etc/default$ kbuildsycoca5 --menutest
kbuildsycoca5 running...
kf.service.services: The desktop entry file
"/usr/share/applications/qemu.desktop" has Type= "Application" but no
Exec line
kf.service.sycoca: Invalid Service :  "/usr/share/applications/qemu.desktop"

Does this have anything to do with my unwanted delays?

Thank you.

Take care, stay warm, dry and well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)