Archive photos to DVD

Art Zemon art at zemon.name
Sat Feb 24 16:59:49 GMT 2024

On Sat, Feb 24, 2024 at 8:41 AM Kjetil Kjernsmo <kjetil at kjernsmo.net> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On fredag 23. februar 2024 02:43:56 CET Mark wrote:
> >  Since the image files have been burned to one or more disks (of the same
> > name) they can then be deleted from the hard drive to make room for more.
>
> Without really answering your question, I would challenge the workflow.

Also be aware that the DVDs that you can burn at home have a limited
lifespan. They vary a lot, from as little as 20 years to maybe 100 or more.
See https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/cds-truth-cddvd-longevity-mold-rot/ for
some detailed info.

You might consider making digiKam collections on removable media, whether
DVDs or SSDs or spinning hard drives. Once you have created the collection,
you can just drag 'n' drop some albums onto it to make a backup. Then
remember to refresh/replace the backup media every decade or so.

    -- Art Z.

--
My blog: CheerfulCurmudgeon.com
*In a place where there are no humans, strive to be human. [Pirkei Avot