Sync'ing metadata using sidecars

Ariel Garcia aog2000a at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 14:07:14 GMT 2024

Hi all,

first of all thanks to the devels and contributors for the wonderful
Digikam :-)

I have a collection shared over NFS to my laptop (so 2 machines in all),
and sometimes use one or the other for managing the collection. I store
all metadata in sidecars, the photo files themselves are read-only, and
the (sqlite) DBs are NOT shared between the two devices.

So if i change metadata in one machine, i just run the  "Album / Reread
Metadata from Files"  command and metadata is updated.

So now the questions:

  * "Reread Metadata from Files" does not seem to work for the whole
    collection, I need to go folder by folder. Is there a way to achieve
    this for a collection?
  * Is there a way to automate that on startup?
  * NOTE: i am running the Digikam 7.9 release from Debian Bookworm, is
    that perhaps that already changed in 8.2?
  * is there any other information (beyond the digikamrc configuration
    file) which i may be loosing in the unsynchronized DB between the
    two PCs?

Thanks, greetings,

Ariel