Suggestion from a new user

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Mon Apr 15 16:06:35 BST 2024

On lundi 15 avril 2024 14:51:31 CEST Domenico Dispenza wrote:
> I have just started to use your program, excellent. A suggestion. Wouldn’t
> be useful the possibility to associate to tags an informative form? For
> instance, to the tag “Lion“ a form with the Linneus family name, habits
> etc,  to the tag “Mary” a form with birthday date, last seen, address.
> Would this be possible? Domenico

Tags are metadata, used to describe the *image*, and which can also be written
to (exported) images.
Adding additional information to tags can then cause several issues (or the
information is lost when you export an image to outside of digikam, e.g. when
uploading to social media):
 - the size of the metadata can grow fast (not impossible to have 10-15 tags,
especially when using a tag hierarchy (animal->mammal->feline->lion), leading
to larger files
- when you have personal information linked to a tag, you get privacy problems
(Mary might not like having her address, birthday or phone number plastered
over the internet)
- The information you propose to add is not descriptive of the image, but of
the metadata item (meta-metadata?).

@Gilles: I thought multilingual descriptions and titles were already possible?
(the "x-default" drop list next to the edit field).