Face detection and recognition problem

Bel Retsuor retsuorbel at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 8 13:36:40 BST 2024

Good evening,

I used Picassa 3 which is no longer maintained.
I saw on the internet that Digikam is a powerful tool that can replace it .
So I installed Digikam version 8.3.0 I recovered 40,000 family photos from Picasa where I had done face recognition which I had written in the files and which I put in Digikam
I have files by year and sub-files (around a hundred).
Picasa detected 600 people (which I found in Digikam) and put the faces on the photos with the names, after using the Tools/Maintenance/synchronize function from the metadata and the database/content in the images from the image metadata to the database. It took over 5 days!!!

When I add a new folder by right clicking on the folder / Refresh, I find it in Digikam.
On the other hand, face detection is not effective:
 - On 7 photos with 10 very identifiable faces it does not detect any faces and of course does not recognize any using the Elements/search for faces function
 - If I use the Tools/Maintenance function and only check "Detect and recognize faces" no face is detected or recognized
Should the box be checked: Delete and reconstruct all learning data? what effect does this function have? what risk?
If I add a face label to the photo, it takes me 15 to 20 seconds to put the name, which is far too long to be operational.

I am very happy with the use of Digikam, slow on certain functions but if the detection and recognition of faces does not work.  I will have to find another solution.
Thank you for your help.
Sincerely
Ret