After upgrade cannot open external drive

William Allen dk at ballen.fastmail.fm
Sat Oct 14 16:34:27 BST 2023

You don’t need to do that. The problem is that every time the Mac has
a system update the uuid of the main drive changes. Why? No idea -
it’s just the kind of fun apple likes to have with us I guess.

The solution, as kludgy as it may be is:

Prerequisites: You need to install sqlite3 to be able to manipulate your
existing database.

Steps:

1. Run your disk utility program. Note the uuid of the drive. To get it,
click on the Macintosh HD line, then the uuid is in the lower right
side.
2. Cd into the directory where your digikam.db is located.
3. sqlite3 digicam.db
4. select identifier from AlbumRoots where id = 1;
5. Now you’ll see the value you need to change. You’ve got to make
the uuid value be what you found in step 1.
6. update AlbumRoots set identifier = 'volumeid:?uuid=<value from step
1> where id = 1;
7. Note that you don’t include the brackets in the above command.

I’ve been following this process every time. There is a proposed
solution, but it isn’t yet implemented.

Regards,
Bill