bookworm killed digikam import

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Mon Jun 26 18:02:33 BST 2023

On lundi 26 juin 2023 18:30:08 CEST gene heskett wrote:
> On 6/24/23 15:53, Maik Qualmann wrote:
> > I suspect that the gvfsd-gphoto2 service is running in Gnome Desktop and
> > is
> > blocking the USB port and no longer releasing it. digiKam does not use a
> > kio* or gvfsd* service and requires direct access to the USB port.
> > Problem has been reported several times. Disable the desktop service.
>
> But you didn't tell me how.

Two possible reasons for that:
- starting/stopping/deactivating services is a system task you should be able
to do as linux user
- the exact way to do it may depend on your exact distribution.

> I killed, with htop, something that had gphoto2 in its name, but that
> has not restored my access to import from the camera, and it was not
> restarted by plugging in the camera and turning it on.

System services have a tendancy to be restarted when needed. That's why you
have to stop them at system level.

> Then in ab additional msg you asked for a log, but didn't describe how
> to get it.

See above

> I did find a reference to ghoto2 in /etc/sane.d, and disabled the port
> line, but that apparently results in digiKam looking at a cache as the
> terminal its launched from now reports:

sane is the linux scanner system. Digikam wouldn't use that file (I hope).

Basically, you will have to disable the service gvfsd-gphoto2 as mentioned by
Mike Qualmann. You should be able to find out how to do that for your system
with any decent search engine.

Remco