Storing jpegs and raw files in different directory structures

Jason Boxman jasonb at edseek.com
Mon Jun 19 03:23:48 BST 2023

Hi,

If you're willing to up the technical difficulty, you can try using
`git-annex` with git for this. The biggest challenge in this is digiKam
follows symlinks, so if you are using .xmp sidecar files, it will try to
create these under the protected .git/annex directory and fail, as this is
kept read-only by git-annex. I wrote a script[0] to hardlink JPEG files
into a separate directory structure to account for this.

You'd need to get up to speed on git-annex, and craft a similar script, for
this approach to work, though. But git-annex does make it easy to sync
photos to other devices, and only copy a subset of photos. It works well
for ensuring you have multiple copies of every photo, and supports keeping
multiple versions of the files.

[0] https://github.com/jboxman/dam

--
Jason Boxman