Image Editor losing metadata

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Jul 4 17:12:04 BST 2023

On 7/4/23 10:39, Gilles Caulier wrote:
> Hi Nadine,
>
> Which digiKam version did you install ? 8.1.0 is a test rolling
> release updated each week.

That statement does not agree with the results, I have an 8.1.0 that was
built pn the 17th of June, but checking for a new version in the help
menu says its current. This is now the 4th of july, and no new version?

Clarify please.

Question Giles: I am learning about getfacl/setfacl and digiKam seems to
be silently being denied write access to /home/gene/Pictures. Not only
that. but kde's Kamosa cannot even /read/ that directory with 8000+
assorted jpeg's and png's in it.

I've also noted, from getfacl's output that while I have rwx perms, the
w is missing from the group and other outputs, which looks right to me
but obviously I'm not seeing the whole story. From the results, that
would appear to not be the case. But bookworm has hidden/moved all the
familiar logs so I've not a clue where to look NOW.

This bookworm install was sudden. something during an update of bullseye
invalidated my pw, I had already dl'd and burnt a dvd with the
netinstall of bookworm, and the only way to regain access was to unplug
the usb stuff and all drives but the one I wanted bookworm to boot from,
and install book worm, then on the initial reboot, I edited /etc/fstab
to bring in my raid10's three partitions of /home, a big swap, and a
small scratchpad of the remainder for whatever, not currently used.

In /etc/udisks2 I just changed the ondemand to onstartup, because there
has been long, 30+ second delays in getting something to work in the
mornings noted.  Does that need a reboot to enable? I haven't yet.

Thank you.

> This is important as this kind of bug has been fixed recently.
>
> Best regards
>
> Gilles Caulier
>
> Le dim. 2 juil. 2023 à 03:03, Nadine Helkenn <cnhelkenn at comcast.net> a écrit :
>>

>> I've encountered a situation with DigiKam 8.1.0 on my Windows 10 desktop system that I suspect is a bug. On photos that were taken with my iPhone as .jpg files that I transferred to the computer & wish to convert to .tiff files, I am losing the metadata.
>>

>> My process in DigiKam is:
>>
>> add the missing metadata (artist, description, some device details, lighting, etc.)
>>
>> save the changes
>>
>> open the file in the image editor
>>
>> select the entire image, crop to selection
>>
>> save the changes as a .tiff file
>>
>> Close the editor
>>

>> I've included screenshots that show the metadata from the original .jpg file & the .tiff file created by the image editor for two images. It is interesting that the first image I did this procedure with did NOT lose the metadata. Only the second & third. The first 2 screenshots are for the first image; the last 2 are for the second image.
>>

>> Is this a bug? Is there a different way for me to accomplish my objective? Has anyone else encountered the same thing?
>>

>> As always, thank you for all of your help,
>>

>> Nadine
> .

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)