Sharing digikam on Linux dual boot

Dougie Nisbet dougie at katsura.uk
Fri Dec 29 15:14:30 GMT 2023

On Thu, 2023-12-28 at 17:18 +0000, Dougie Nisbet wrote:

> On 28/12/2023 16:48, Remco Viëtor wrote:
>

> > But this is for a dual boot single system, so only one client
> > should be able
> > to access the database at any given time, so there won't be any
> > concurrent
> > access...
> > And the disk concerned seems to be fixed disk (SSD),  so I don't
> > see any
> > reason for that setup not to work, unless there's an issue with
> > disk IDs (even
> > then, for one of the OSs, digikam won't find the images, but there
> > shouldn't
> > be any data loss).
> >

> Indeed. I'll give it a try and see what happens! The system(s) are
> just newly installed so it's a good time to find out.

Just to follow up on this. I've tried this on not encountered any
problems ...

but ...

I've been reading in the docs
( https://docs.digikam.org/en/getting_started/installation.html ) about
the purpose and location of some of the config files that are
maintained in the user's home directory, e.g.

~/.config/digikamrc
~/.config/digikam_systemrc
~/.cache/digikam
~/.local/share/digikam
~/.local/share/kxmlgui5/digikam/digikamui5.rc

and decided there are too many 'known unknowns' for me.

It's been an interesting experiment and it can probably be made to work
but I'm sticking with a single OS install (even though both OS's are
Linux).

Dougie