Sharing digikam on Linux dual boot

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Thu Dec 28 16:48:00 GMT 2023

On jeudi 28 décembre 2023 17:30:45 CET Gilles Caulier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Before to down on the technical details, read this section of the doc:
>
> https://docs.digikam.org/en/setup_application/collections_settings.html#the-> network-shares-specificity
>
> It's not so far complete, but to be short, digiKam is not designed yet
> to support concurrent access to the same database by different
> clients.
>
> Best
>
> Gilles Caulier
>
> Le jeu. 28 déc. 2023 à 16:52, Dougie Nisbet <dougie at katsura.uk> a écrit :
> > I’ve re-installed my desktop. Dual-boot Debian bookworm and Fedora
> > workstation. My photos are on a separate SSD. About 600GB.
> >
> > Normally on a new install I configure digikam to store its config and
> > database in my home directory. I believe the default is to store the db
> > in the parent of the images directory.
But this is for a dual boot single system, so only one client should be able
to access the database at any given time, so there won't be any concurrent
access...
And the disk concerned seems to be fixed disk (SSD),  so I don't see any
reason for that setup not to work, unless there's an issue with disk IDs (even
then, for one of the OSs, digikam won't find the images, but there shouldn't
be any data loss).

Remco