advice needed on migrating from Apple iPhotos to Digikam:

Michael Levin mlevin77 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 27 12:43:59 GMT 2023

I've got a large photo library in Apple iPhoto. I'm moving it to Digikam via this package: https://github.com/RhetTbull/osxphotos .

I need advice on two things.

1) where should the Star Ratings of the iPhoto contents be kept, so that Digikam picks this info up as its own Star Ratings? I need to tell osxphotos how to export the star ratings into the sidecar etc. metadata. Where does Digikam pick up star ratings when importing image data?

2) The concept of Albums vs. Events.  In iPhoto, there are 2 groupings: Events, and Albums.  Events are created each time you import a set of photos.  Albums are categories I can create and populate with specific images (I'm not talking about dynamic Smart Albums - just static Albums to which I assign photos - basically a list of pointers to files which primarily live in Events). By default, osxphotos creates a folder for each Event, and then when Digikam opens the exported data, each folder becomes an Album.  What is the best way to handle the concept of iPhoto albums - is there a corresponding concept of a static set of pictures assigned to a "group" or virtual folder of pointers or something equivalent, with pictures being able to belong to more than one group etc.? I could create Tags for them, but I already use Tags for another purpose and I'd rather not proliferate Tags for that. Or maybe I can somehow exploit hierarchical tagging for marking those Albums, in a way that won't interfere with my main Tags? What do people do?

And finally, I'm looking to pay someone who is very familiar with Digikam, to help me compose the optimal osxphotos export string. If you'd like to do an hour or two of consulting work to help me get my iPhoto library optimally into Digikam via osxphotos and can get up to speed on its options, I'd happily pay for someone's time and expertise to do this right.

Mike