Using my collections in training Gen AI locally

Kjetil Kjernsmo kjetil at kjernsmo.net
Sat Dec 9 17:08:13 GMT 2023

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anybody has done anything around taking a text-to-image GenAI
model, fine-tune or train it with your own pictures, and generate images from
that?

I have a Digikam managed collection of tens of thousands of images, most of
which I've tagged and rated through the years in a neat taxonomy, so now, it
would be interesting to use those tagged images as input to such a model. I
wouldn't share my pictures beyond my firewall (for now), so I'd like to do it
locally.

I have looked around, and seen similar stuff being done, but not quite what I
was looking for. There is DreamBooth: https://dreambooth.github.io/  but
that's a fine tuning over a small number of images for a specific purpose.
My idea is to add to the model locally, which I suppose is more characterized
as more training than fine-tuning, but I'm not too deep into these things yet.

The hardware I have is a 6-core Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU with a IntelĀ®
UHD Graphics 630 and 32GB of RAM, and I would be getting a video card with 10
GB of VRAM too, which I realize is not a lot, but what I can currently afford.

It would be great to hear if anyone has done something similar!

Kind regards,

Kjetil