bookworm killed digikam import

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Aug 21 10:38:31 BST 2023

On 8/21/23 04:21, Martin Burnicki wrote:
> gene heskett wrote:
>> On 6/25/23 04:28, Maik Qualmann wrote:
>>> Create a debug log of the terminal output when trying to download
>>> images from
>>> the camera. Don't forget to set the Qt debug variable, see here:
>>>
>>> https://www.digikam.org/contribute/
>>>
>>> Maik
>>>
>> I dunno what the heck is going on, but I cannot redirect what I see
>> echo'd to the terminal in a file generated with:
>>
>> digiKam 2>&1 >/tmp/digikam.log.
>  >  > I get 100k of output to the screen, and 10 lines to the log.  Has
> debian
>> managed to break bash? Further digging into this rabbit hole, my fav
>> terminal is Konsole and is apparently, definitely /NOT/ bash. Lemme go
>> bang on the debian list to see how such redirection might be done in
>> Konsole. It also appears to ignore a ulimit=unlimited setting.
>> scrollback ends long before I get back to the command line.
>
> I just gave it a try. If I run
>
> digiKam 2>&1 >/tmp/digikam.log
>
> I also still see the output to stderr on the console. However, if I
> *first* redirect stdout to a file and *then* stderr to stdout, it works
> as expected, i.e.
>
> digiKam >/tmp/digikam.log 2>&1
>
> works for me.

And works here too.

> I also stumbled across a similar problem a long time ago, but I don't
> remember why it makes a difference which redirection comes first.
>
> BTW, I'm running openSUSE with KDE, and when I open a konsole window, I
> indeed get a bash shell:
>
> $ echo $SHELL
> /bin/bash
>
> I think that, as Remco already pointed out, it depends on some system
> setting which shell is started when you open a konsole window.
>
>> And now I'm DIW for several hours, camera battery is dead.
>
> I find it much easier to pull the memory card out of the camera and put
> it into a card reader than to directly connect the camera to the computer.

I had problems with that in a previous Olympus camera, the larger card
seems more susceptible to being damaged by the electrical disconnect and
re connection, so I bought the cables and quit removing cards. Plus the
card is well covered by the battery in the Canon and difficult to remove
w/o first removing the battery or battery's in all 3 cameras. This Canon
needs the battery pulled, then a set of miniature 4" suture clamps to
remove the card as it doesn't self eject by pushing it in to unlatch.
PITA needing the suture clamps to pull it in other words as there is
only about 1/32" of card edge to grip.  Its a little easier for the
other 2, a Nikon and the first Olympus.

I at one time decades ago, had my own color darkroom & sometimes wish I
had the color controls available then, but then I recall the finikyness
of the chemistry and the need to formulate your own color paper
developer, and welcome the new digital cameras, when they work, much
simpler to get good results.  When they work...

> Doing so can be much faster if the card reader and the computer support
> USB3, but the camera only USB2 or USB1, which support only lower data
> rates.
True.

> Martin

Cheers, Gene Heskett.