App-neutral way to store face recognition results

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Wed Aug 9 14:34:29 BST 2023

On mercredi 9 août 2023 14:01:09 CEST caro23 at web.de wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am looking for a rather neutral solution to store face recognition results
> in a software- and service-independent way. For instance, that I can also
> use the results in other software like image viewers, phone apps, or
> Google/MS Photo services in the cloud. I know this is a difficult request,
> but maybe someone has some best practice tips? DigiKam seems to store the
> tags in Microsoft Photo 2.0 schema XMP tags – which looks like the best
> location for this. However, it seems that MS has abandoned this schema in
> their own, most recent products: -    The OneDrive Photo app doesn’t read
> these tags. However, if I instead store the people info in the regular EXIF
> tags field (manually), this is indexed by the cloud app and can be used in
> the search function. -    Same for the MS Photo app in Win 11
> -    Same for Google Photos
> Therefore, it seems that it would be better to store the face recognition
> results there. Is this even possible with DigiKam? I haven’t found an
> option to switch the EXIF tag destination. (Or any better suggestions/
> experiences for this use case?)
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Caro

First, it shouldn't matter too much that Microsoft doesn't use the specific
XML format anymore, as long as the applications you want to use still
recocnise it.

Second, you cannot store face recognition tags in EXIF metadata, they will
always be stored in the XMP section. Are you sure the face recognition
metadata are stored in the images themselves? Afaik, this is not done by
default, but there is an option to enable in "Settings->configure digikam-