how to detect corrupted file

jdd at dodin.org jdd at dodin.org
Tue Apr 11 16:40:47 BST 2023

Le 11/04/2023 à 16:51, frederic chaume a écrit :

> What could help is to be able to validate the integrity of the
> collections and/or the backup. So if any idea is welcome

finally, jpeginfo is the tool of choice. Thanks you making me find this
utility (easily given by my openSUSE distribution)

https://github.com/tjko/jpeginfo

I take a random jpeg file:

Default jpeginfo result:
jdd at localhost:/data/temp-data> jpeginfo test-jpeginfo.jpg
test-jpeginfo.jpg                2048 x 1536 24bit N JFIF,ICC
       336206

corrupting the file (removing some lines with vi and saving)
jdd at localhost:/data/temp-data> vi test-jpeginfo.jpg

Test for corruption:
jdd at localhost:/data/temp-data> jpeginfo -c test-jpeginfo.jpg
test-jpeginfo.jpg                2048 x 1536 24bit N JFIF,ICC
       335104 WARNING Corrupt JPEG data: premature end of data segment

notice that the resulting file is a pretty valid jpg file (opens in
Firefox), but it'sd easy to see it's corrupted

https://www.cjoint.com/doc/23_04/MDlpNwARRtk_test-jpeginfo.jpg

jdd

--
mon serveur usenet: dodin.fr.nf