Re: Tutorial: 'Setup of digiKam for Windows compatibility' – any updates?

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 07:01:00 BST 2023

Le jeu. 20 avr. 2023 à 09:14, Paul A. Norman <paul at paulanorman.info> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I have been working through the following very helpful tutorial for Digikam establishment under Windows 10 on my own and a few friends' PCs...
>
> ‘Digikam/Tutorials/Setup of digiKam for Windows compatibility’
>
> https://userbase.kde.org/Digikam/Tutorials/Setup_of_digiKam_for_Windows_compatibility
>
> On the first machine I successfully upgraded from 7.10 to 8.0.0, and it runs very nicely thank you.
>
> While noting that the tutorial was prepared under DigiKam 7.4, I was however left concerned by this statement in the above tutorial ...
>
> “What you need to know –
>
> https://userbase.kde.org/Digikam/Tutorials/Setup_of_digiKam_for_Windows_compatibility#What_you_need_to_know
>
> “You have to re-check the Metadata settings every time you update digiKam to a new version, before you resume using digiKam as usual.
> ★ Currently (digiKam 7.4) you do need to repeat the manual Metadata setting changes after each digiKam update.”
>
> 1) When I looked at the upgraded 8.0.0, it seemed that the alterations I had made, following the above 7.4 tutorial, (under 7.10), had been retained in the upgrade to 8.0.0.
>
> —Is that generally so now, or could other changes made under 7.10 have been lost while upgrading to 8.0.0?

I think this stage exists in this tutorial due to changes in settings
name renaming internally. I think it's safe with 8.0.0 and later
versions.

> 2) Also, are there other things that have changed regarding the tutorial:
> ‘Digikam/Tutorials/Setup of digiKam for Windows compatibility’
> since Digikam 7.4, and with recent upgrades of Windows 10 (and what about 11)?
>
> Any pointers appreciated please before I roll out any more installations under Windows 10 :-)

The only one that i know, because i write it come from the online doc:

https://docs.digikam.org/en/getting_started/installation.html#digikam-on-windows

Best regards