Fonts and DK 8.0

Dougie Nisbet dougie at katsura.uk
Mon Apr 17 20:30:52 BST 2023

I've had similar issues after upgrading to dual BenQ 28" 3840x2160
monitors a couple of months ago. I don't believe it's specific to
digiKam and you may find this behaviour happens inconsistently across
apps. If you do a web search on small fonts on large displays for linux
you'll find a lot of mixed information. It usually seems to involve
adjusting the scaling and/or the DPI on your particular setup, and there
aren't any guarantees. You end up getting one application looking
lovely, and another ends up looking bad.

I'm using the xfce4 desktop on Debian, and what's worked for me is using
the Adwaita Style, changing the custom DPI setting to 140 (you need to
experiment), and leaving the Window Scaling at 1x (I've tried 2x but as
mentioned, it fixes one thing, but breaks another). For xfce4 this is
under Settings/Appearance, or run directly as xfce4-appearance-settings.
I've also tried other desktops, e.g. kde, and found that it basically
involved trial and error experimenting with scaling and dpi.

Dougie