Tagged Faces from iPhone

bob.bourg at gmail.com bob.bourg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 21:54:22 BST 2023

Lukas,

Adding to Paul Norman's comments, I believe it depends on how you are transferring the photos from the iPhone to your computer.  I believe the iPhone will strip face tags and other personal data from the photos if you use your computer's download app or some other third-party transfer software.

If you have set your iPhone to sync with iCloud, you can download the photos from iCloud.com using a browser.  This is the way I do it, and it preserves the face tags regions set by the iPhone regardless of whether you choose to download the JPEG or HEIC version.  I just tested this again on a PC and confirmed both the JPEG and HEIC versions with exiftool.  However, I believe this process will not transfer any names that the iPhone has applied to the face tag regions since that it is still considered personal data, but the face tag regions are preserved.  I don't add names to the faces on my iPhone and prefer to do it in digiKam.

My workflow is to copy the files I have downloaded from iCloud to a digiKam album folder and Scan for New Items.  With digiKam 8.0.0 and the exiftool integration, you can then view and apply names to the face tags in the HEIC files.

Hope this helps.

Bob