[digiKam-users] Keyword hierarchy

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Mon Oct 31 17:01:22 GMT 2022

On lundi 31 octobre 2022 17:14:13 CET Marc Palaus wrote:

> Frederic,
> Is this still the case?
> Years ago I decided against hierarchical keywords as they were very much not
> transferable between programs. One of my priorities is keeping my filing
> system non-dependent on any particular software. This has helped as
> Iview/mediapro and Aperture have both gone away but my library persists! Is
> there a name for the implementation that DK uses for hierarchical
> keywords/tags, and any idea of what other software uses that same system?

Digikam can write keywords to sidecars (or files) in several xmp tags. Some of
those are hierarchical, others will write individual elements as simple tags.
Whether keywords are transferable between programs depends on which xmp tags
the programs can read and write (assuming they can read/write xmp).

Digikam version 7.7.0 can read and write the following for keywords (at
least):
Xmp.digiKam.TagsList
Xmp.lr.hierarchicalSubject
Xmp.acdsee.categories
Xmp.dc.subject		(NOT hierachical)
Xmp.mediapro.CatalogSets

As you can see, mediapro may have gone, but the xmp format is still available
and understood by some programs. So the question is more how your program can
export information.

I know that at least darktable has no trouble reading the keywords I set in
digikam through the xmp sidecars.

But don't try to use the database for information transfer between programs.
That won't work...

Remco