[digiKam-users] How do I quickly remove all unused tags from my database?

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Tue Aug 2 15:55:48 BST 2022

On mardi 2 août 2022 16:37:04 CEST Glen wrote:
> I removed over 200,000 images from my database. I'm now left with
> thousands and thousands of unused tags. Deleting all the unused tags is
> proving to be excruciatingly slow and painful. Even using Tag Manager to
> merely highlight all the unused tags is unacceptably slow.
>
> Is there any way to speed up the deletion of unused tags from my database?

Have you tried a database cleanup? With that many images gone, there may be a
lot of wasted space in the database (a "delete" often means "mark as no longer
present", not "remove the information from the database").

Depending on how many images are left, and whether you have sidecar files for
those, rebuilding the (tag) database from scratch might also be faster. Do
make backups of the databases before trying any of this, though...

Remco