[digiKam-users] Help! digiKam Hangs on Start up

Glen glen at glenvision.com
Sat Sep 18 23:16:47 BST 2021

My computer was running today. digiKam was open at the time, but sitting
idle in the background. Then a brief power failure shut everything down.
After my home's power returned, I rebooted my computer, which runs
Windows 10. Apparently Windows decided NOW was a great time to install
an update. (Sigh.) After the update installed and automatically rebooted
my system, everything seemed normal.

However, digiKam will not launch now. Sometimes it hangs on the splash
screen, with a small message in the top-left corner indicating it is
"Initializing Main View..." Sometimes, the message is "Checking ICC
repository..." Sometimes, it doesn't show a splash screen at all, and a
dialog box pops up instead, with the following message:

You have insufficient privileges on the database.
Following privileges are not assigned to you:
ALTER TABLE
Check your privileges on the database and restart digiKam.

Does anyone know how I can get digiKam working again?

As I said, my operating system is Windows 10. My database is MariaDB 10.6

I'm new to this software, and I've just spent a few days tagging a large
collection of images, with yet more tagging that I haven't finished yet.
I'd hate to lose all that effort and have to start over.

I'd also hate to go through this again, the next time I have a power
failure, a hardware failure, or Windows for whatever reason just decides
to crash one day. There should be more resiliency built into digiKam.