[digiKam-users] Migrating form Picasa for Windows

Jozef Riha jose1711 at gmail.com
Tue May 4 11:15:43 BST 2021

Hi, I cannot really comment on face detection - I'd say you'll just have to
try that - maybe on a smaller sample and see how the recognition works
(performance, accuracy). digiKam also reads the existing face tags if
Picasa stored them into files. A few things that I did notice when
switching my parents from Picasa (Linux) to digiKam (Linux) are:
  - there is no way how to make albums appear as a flat list (in Picasa if
you have a/b, a/b/c, a/b/c/d you'll get albums b c d, digiKam does not
support this). You may or may see this as an issue (a matter of preference).
  - I kinda miss the Picasa's search bar in the upper right corner - very
easy to filter the album(s) I want to see, digiKam's search is very
versatile but IMHO not that efficient
  - editing options of digiKam are far superior, extra tools are nice
  - for me the cloud features of Picasa stopped working years back but that
could be because I was using it on Linux (haven't checked in depth)

Cheers, jose