[digiKam-users] How to learn Digikamefficiently

trparks1 at gmail.com trparks1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 21:21:59 GMT 2021

Hi,

I have undertaken a project to organize a large volume of images that
include archival family prints and slides (now being commercially scanned)
and personal and semi-pro digital images.  There are about 10K of the
scanned images that should arrive in folders named in a format:
YYYY_MM,Location_Or_Event,Person1,Person2,Person3,.

The digital media is another matter.  There are about 60K images in existing
folders that are loosely organized by year and event/location, but include
"raw" stock (not raw data format, but simply inclusive of all photos taken
in that series), well curated collections (that may include images not in
the raw stock), photos from my phone, ones received from friends/colleagues,
etc.  Geeze, what a mess.

My goal is to have ultimately each file tagged with Date, Event/Location,
People, in its meta data so that they can be efficiently filtered in the
future regardless of platform.  I would also of course like to use the
efficient database and other features of a platform such as DIgikam.

I have looked over photo related DAM software solutions and have boiled my
choice down to Digikam

and Adobe Bridge.  I would very much prefer to use Digikam except I have not
been able to find much in the way of efficient tutorial materials.  The
program seems very powerful but also complex and finding the best way to
approach my project and set up workflows (just for organizing) seems
daunting to me.  I feel like I could spend a good deal of time just learning
the basics and find myself with a lot of sunk time only to find that I
didn't have an efficient approach and perhaps even need to start over.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestion on how to steepen the learning
curve so I could become efficient and productive within a reasonable amount
of time (week or so).   I am more than willing to pay for a power users time
to help me launch and get moving in the right direction if anyone out there
is willing and qualified.

Thanks in advance,

Tom