[digiKam-users] Tagging photos in bulk with data stored in excel

Remco Viëtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Sat Aug 29 10:56:25 BST 2020

On samedi 29 août 2020 09:28:12 CEST kellnerp wrote:
> If you are on Linux why not just write a script to do that with
> exiftools?Sent from my Samsung device

To the best of my knowledge, excel isn't available for Linux...

Apart from that, a script would be the best option, with export of the
relevant data from excel to an easy to parse format.

The only caveat would be for the case of raw files, where writing to the
metadata is strongly discouraged. But it might be possible to create/update
xmp files associated with the raw files.

But before that, OP might want to think about what he means exactly by
"writing each species' name into the metadata": does he want a caption, a
title, keywords (if so, just the species name?), is there location information
to be written as well, (and how), etc.

Of course not, excel is only available under Ms-windows or MacOS, not under
Linux, and digikam is developed principally under Linux. And decoding an excel
spreadsheet is not simple (esp. since there is not just one excel file
format).

Remco