[digiKam-users] Album(s) post install

Paul Marfell pmarfell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 17:40:13 GMT 2019

Hi

Over the years I have put the photos I have taken into dated folders on my
HDD with the top of that structure being "Photos". On installing DigiKam I
pointed it at this folder and everything worked great. Tagging and metadata
work has gone well.

[image: Screenshot from 2019-11-22 17-37-11.png]

On a separate part of my HDD, away from Photos, I have a set of folders
where I have been collecting lots of information about local history. This
has included many images from numerous sources. I now want to spend some
time indexing/tagging the images. I have tried adding some to DigiKam but
it creates a duplicate folder structure and copies the files over to
"Photos". I don't want to copy the images into the "Photos" folder
structure but do want them accessible within DigiKam to tag.

Where can I find out how to do this? (Can it be done?)

My previous organiser could navigate my HDD and I could tell it which
folders I was interested in. Perhaps having worked this way set me off on
the wrong path with DigiKam? Or am I missing something about
categories/collections?

Thanks

Paul

--