[digiKam-users] Sidecars only for video files?

Noeck noeck.marburg at gmx.de
Mon Nov 11 18:33:58 GMT 2019

Hi Gilles,

I fully understand that you are busy and that was by no means a
complaint. I wrote "it's a pity" (which is true if someone who asks a
question does not recieve a reply). I did not write "it's a shame" or
that it was the fault of any of you developers (in which case I would
understand your mail). I was interested in the answer myself (I am not
the OP) and I'm happy I asked again, because your adivce helps a lot.

Thank you for this suggestion:

> DK/Setup/Metadata/Sidecars/WritetoSidecarFiles/Write to XMP sidecar for
> read only item only.
>
> This will include RAW and Video. There is no option to separate write to
> sidecars by type-mime. This must be implemented ==> bugzilla...

For my purposes, this perfectly solves the issue!
I tested it and realized that I first misunderstood the advice, it does
not only work for files without write permissions (in which case I could
remove write permissions from all my videos for that purpose) but it
generally works for files where digikam can't write the metadata to the
file (i.e. raw and video as you wrote).

Thanks for pointing me to that option!

Cheers,
Joram