[digiKam-users] Migration of DigiKam to new PC

Paul Marfell paul at marfell.me.uk
Sat Nov 9 14:28:08 GMT 2019

Hi

What is the best way to migrate image files and a DigiKam install from a
Ubuntu 19.10 low spec box to a Ubuntu 19.10 higher spec box? At its
simplest I could use DigiKam to write metadata to the image files and/or
.xmp files, copy the image and .xmp files to the new box, install DigiKam
to the new box and point it to the copied image file location. There are
approximately 35,000 images.

Is there anything I need to take into account when doing it this way?

If it is not quite as simple as that I have included below a bit of the
background for me asking the question.
Recently I was a Windows 10 and Ubuntu 19.10 user. I was still on Windows
due to using the Organiser in Photoshop Elements. As a result I was also
using GIMP and darktable on the Windows box. After a trial of DigiKam on
Windows I decided to use Organiser to write all its metadata to the image
files, copy them to the Ubuntu box and start DigiKam on the Ubuntu box. The
intention being to be using just Ubuntu - a serious hardware upgrade would
also be involved which arrives next week.

Everything seemed to work fine apart from losing the tag hierarchy. I have
a lot of wildlife photos and have a tag hierachy:-
Nature > Birds > Avocet, Blackbird, Blackcap, Swallow, Oystercatcher, .....
Nature > Nature Reserves > St Aidans NR, DMNR, Rodley Nature Reserve .....
Nature > Butterflies > Red Admiral, Tortoiseshell, Painted Lady,......
etc. etc.

I have also spent some time adding Face Tags and a People > Family
hierarchy.

I am now wondering if I should not have bothered because part of the plan
was to get a new higher spec PC with SSD and decent HDD. Am I going to need
to redo all that? Should I write the "Nature" and "Birds" tags to files,
not just the Avocet tag, to make it easier to rebuild the hierarchy?

It is a bit late in the day but should I have organised tags differently? I
have struggled to find suitably detailed and relevant "best practice"
guides. Is it a case of "well if you want to get there I wouldn't start
from here."? :-)

What is the best way to migrate everything? I will be able to temporarily
mount the old HDD with the image files so I could probably give it the same
location details as on the old PC.

So far the only migration topics I have found are related to migration from
SQLite to MySQL so apologies if this has been answered/covered already.
Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Paul

--