[digiKam-users] Hierarchical tags, how are they stored?

woenx marcpalaus at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 5 21:11:09 GMT 2019

Noeck wrote
>> For instance, Let's say I have a set of pictures like this:
>>
>> [ ] Kanada
>>     [ ] Ontario
>>         [x] Toronto
>>
>> But I realize my mistake
>
> Which is not a mistake in German, btw. ☺

Haha, true.

Yes, now I am making sure to run a "write metadata" sync after each
movement. And yes, that may imply thousands of pictures, and take a very
long time, but the user is already warned by digikam (if it changes more
than 100 pictures or so), so is doing that under his own responsibility.
Alternatively, if you commonly do these kind hierarchy changes, using XMP
sidecars instead of directly writing to files would be much faster and
safer. I have not had any picture corrupted by digikam yet, though, so I
trust it (I also have regular backups, so it's fine).

Anyway, the changes I am doing today (changing the root of some tags to the
country name) is something I hope to do just once. Unless someday I want to
group countries under continents or something ¯\_(ツ)_/¯