[digiKam-users] Folder creation on import- timestamp mapping

Dougie Nisbet dougie at katsura.uk
Tue Nov 5 10:45:35 GMT 2019

On 04/11/2019 12:59, Tony Bazeley wrote:
> I'm having trouble with the auto creation of folders/albums on import.
> The problem is the mapping of the exif creation date to the folder name.
> For example an image with an exif timestamp of 4/11/2019 17:42 ACDT
> (Australian Central Daylight Savings Time) is mapped to a folder
> 5/11/2019, whereas images taken earlier in the day (I think before
> about 15:00) are mapped as expected.
>
> Is there a setting to control folder creation mapping on import?
>
> Using Digikam 5.9.0 on Kubuntu 19.04
>
> Thanks
> Tony

I don't mean to hijiack your thread but I'd be interested in this too.

I've come from Shotwell and I miss its auto-import, which would create
directories based on the exif date in the image. The directory structure
is a simple YYYY/MM/DD hierarchy. I can create the structure manually
and copy photos into the command line but this becomes fiddly if I have
a messy batch of photos to import over a range of dates.

I looked at DK's import and tried a couple of things but found it a bit
complicated and decided to revisit it later.

At the moment I copy photos into my desired destination manually, or use
the utility: https://github.com/ivandokov/phockup which does exactly
what I want.

But ideally I'd like to figure out how to do this in Digikam if it's
possible. I've found the Digikam import terminology confusing at times,
as I want to import from a local source to another local location,
creating a date structure on import as required.

Dougie