[digiKam-users] Exclude images from the timeline ? Folder Structure?

woenx marcpalaus at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 8 17:40:50 GMT 2019

I don't there is an easy way to automatically tell whether a picture is a
real photo or a meme.

I think manually moving them to another folder is the easiest solution.
Another option would be tagging those pictures with a specific tag (e.g.
"memes") and then hide that tag in digikam using filters.

Regarding the folder structure, if all your pictures have metadata, you
could write a script to read that metadata, and place that picture in their
corresponding year and month. Actually, I think that the software Shotwell
does that automatically when importing a folder, you can try it. But
honestly, I have found out that many pictures have wrong dates in them, so
it is something that I would do manually as well.

In my case, I like to put all my pictures in a single folder, and create
subfolders for each "event", containing the date of the event in the
YYYY-MM-DD format (e.g.: "2016-07-22 John and Ellen Wedding"). I don't
rename the pictures themselves, as the filename can also contain valuable
information (like what order pictures were taken or the camera model). So,
in this case, sorting all folders by name would sort all events
folders by year and then month. But it's really a matter of taste.