[digiKam-users] Compilations

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jun 13 11:36:38 BST 2019

On mercredi 12 juin 2019 20:29:04 CEST pinasse wrote:
> Hi!
>
> When I looked at Digikam for the first time I was surprised: Wow what a
> great DAM! But then I was baffle to see, that it did not have collections,
> the most flexible way to manage files. Now I'm really astonished to see,
> that no one here catches the idea. Has no digikam user ever tried other
> DAMs?
> I've been using DAMs for my 350000 images for more then 15 years and
> couldn't work without them. To me it's the fish in the bowl and the meat in
> the stew. I can only encourage you to watch some youtube videos about
> collections in LR to learn how photographers use it. W/o such a feature
> digikam just is a great fill-in-helper for meta data. Creating collections
> is the reason why I fill all the tags.

Form your workflow, you seem to have pretty specific needs. Among other
things, it looks like you need a multi-user DAM, which Digikam isn't.

Also, a somewhat less aggressive stance might get you more help and interest.
Acting as if the lack of one specific feature you need makes dk a toy *isn't*
going to help. Fyi, I know there are users of dk that started with LR...

So, unless you are willing to discuss your needs in a constructive way, I'm
out of the discussion. A good start might be the name(s) of one or more DAMs
that do all what you want from them. And no, LR doesn't fit the bill, wrt. the
compilation metadata.

Remco

P.S. Did you notice how active the people involved in DK development have been
in this thread?