[digiKam-users] Catalogues across the LAN

Mark Otway mark at otway.com
Tue Feb 26 22:12:57 GMT 2019

I'm having real problems with Digikam running on a catalogue that's sitting
on my NAS. It seems like it's just not set up to run this way.

I have 400k photos in a NAS share, and have done a full import (into an
internal MySQL DB) which took over 2 days. I'd expect, at that point, to be
able to browse, search and generally work with the catalogue efficiently
when on my home network with direct access to the NAS. However, the startup
time is abysmal (a few minutes before I get any GUI at all) and a lot of
the time I just get white 'documents' when searching or browsing, rather
than thumbnails. If I double-click one of the search results, I get the
editor with a message saying Cannot load "". Why would this be? Is it
because I've had Digikam open when I've left my LAN (i.e., had my laptop on
at work), and so it's 'lost' the connection to the NAS shared folder, and
doesn't ever restore it? If so, is there anything I can do to make it more
resilient?

I've tried Digikam 5.9, 6.0 and 6.1, and with SQLLite, and with internal
MySQL, and it just seems awfully slow and unwieldy. I was really hoping
that I'd be able to switch to using it as a replacement for Lightroom, but
so far the experience has made it unusable. Any tips to make it work in a
slick manner?