[digiKam-users] Multi-user digiKam setup?

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 16:35:48 GMT 2019

Le sam. 2 févr. 2019 à 15:09, Stefan Müller <stefan.mueller.83 at gmail.com> a
écrit :

> Hi there,
>
> based on the welcomed straight answers in regard of feature dev in [digiKam-users]
> either face recognition screen is buggy or I still don't understand it...
> <http://digikam.1695700.n4.nabble.com/digiKam-users-either-face-recognition-screen-is-buggy-or-I-still-don-t-understand-it-at-least-I-can-8-tp4705248p4707753.html>
>
> there are only two options:
>
>    1. get it added to GSoC/2019/Ideas - digiKam
>    <https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2019/Ideas#digiKam>
>
> If you add new ideas, we need someone to follow and mentoring the student.
Typically we work as double mentoring (main and alternative).

Following a student is time consuming, but can give good results if the
student work well. It's not always the cases, and this is why a selection
must be done well.

I'm already contacted by few students through Linkedin. I talk and try to
judge the skills through few some junior jobs. It's a take a while, because
a wrong selection can be catastrophic.

I already mentored a wrong selection, and at end, i re-write all the code
because student do not listen all my recommendations or do not respond.

Don't forget : with GoSC event, students will be payed, if they do the
engineering job. So, some people try to be connect to a project to at least
checkout so money without to do a real project.

Now, back to the GoSC idea. Why not, but we need help as main mentoring.
Time is limited for main mentors, don't forget this point.

>    1.
>    2. dev it yourself or find some support, respectively
>
> Find new contributors is fondamental to see a project alive in long time.
And there is not only c++ development to help in this project.

For ex, i personalty do this no developer task :

- Write and post release announcement with screenshots. It long and need
English words review.
- Update weekly bundles for Windows, Linux, and Mac. This require to
install compilation env. and to run/update/fix bash/cmake scripts that i
write.
Mostly all is now automatized with scripts and well documented.
- Bugs triaging : I already create/sort/manage all digiKam bugzilla
subsections, make a huge pass over all entry, identify the duplicates,
etc... But this need to be done periodically, and while this time you
cannot code.
- Write the doc : we have a huge documentation written in docbook format, a
kind of XML stuff not to hard to understand. This need large updates, with
new screenshots. I must admit that i don't touch the doc since a long time.
- Translate well the application and the documentation. It's not too hard,
but long. There are delegate teams for translations jobs into KDE project.

>    1.
>
>    ...i'm always in favor to only use bugzilla as the main Agile project
>    management tool. You have a file to create or already created, you build a
>    patch against current implementation, and you attach file. It's simple,
>    archived, and follow all QA requirement.
>
>    @Gilles:
>       1.  is there any space where some idealist could find each other
>       and try to do so under your supervision

list is limited (size attachement, moderating, history, etc.).
- Linkedin digiKam group can be used well.

Do not ask me to use IRC. I cannot do it while working hors, as IRC is
closed due to security issue with FW. Linkedin message do the job well, and
students are in this social network. I know that it's not perfect, but at
least we can use it to work together. Remember that G+ social network will
be closed in 2 April and we cannot use it instead (thanks google for the
long time support).

>    1. could you tell where to there right spot in the source code for
>       such enhancement?
>
> I already start to respond to this question in another post (this is the
problem of mailing list for ex)

Best

Gilles Caulier