[digiKam-users] Metadata in PNG files

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 22:25:52 BST 2019

Hi,

You are right, PNG has 2 place to store metadata :

One older way, very powerfull and implemented first in ImageMagick, using
special PNG chunck to store Exif/Itc/Xmp data bytearray.

digiKam and Exiv2 use this way (i implemented myself this code in Exiv2).

 Adobe few year ago has finally accepted to support PNG and as standardized
the XMP only storage in PNG in another chunck. I supose that Exiftool
support this Adobe and ImageMagick.

I'm sure that Exiv2 do not support yet the Adobe solution, as i don't touch
Exiv2 PNG code since a while.

This is why you see a difference between Exiv2 and ExifTool.

Best

Gilles Caulier