[digiKam-users] Renaming a folder does not work

karsten_df karsten.defreese at posteo.de
Sun Mar 18 10:11:22 GMT 2018

Maik Qualmann wrote
> I will test it the days with an NFS share. I also use openSUSE Tumbleweed.
> looked at the source code of dolphin, dolphin uses KIO::rename(). And
> KIO::rename() deactivates the KDirWatch for the directory before renaming
> it.
> We also use a QFileSystemWatcher and remove the monitored directory
> beforehand. The QDir::rename function may fail with open files. However,
> the
> KIO::rename () function also removes the parent directory.
> We'll see if that's the problem. It will, however, be fixed only in
> digiKam
> 6.0.0.

Two other observations in that context:
Sometimes it takes a very long time (minutes) to recognize a directory
deleted from within digikam, in both installed and AppImage versions.
If a directory rename from within digikam (installed version) fails, the
directory is still shown with the new name in digikam, while in the file
system the name is not actually changed. In this case, even a maintenance
action of re-scanning the collection does not cause digikam to show the
folder name correctly - only after a digikam re-start with complete scan it
is shown correctly.

Maik Qualmann wrote
> I also tend to make the QFileSystemWatcher optional because it
> generates many unnecessary events during file operations and not every
> user
> needs the functionality.

Is the watcher currently configured for all collections / directories? May
this be a reason for slow responses sometimes?

Maik Qualmann wrote
> It will, however, be fixed only in digiKam 6.0.0.

no problem..

regards -
Karsten