How to add new collection?

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Sat Jan 6 08:57:02 GMT 2018

On samedi 6 janvier 2018 09:14:50 CET fotografie wrote:
> Hello,
>
> running out of space on my harddrive which holds my collection, I have
> to store the picture on an other drive.
>
> Now my question:
>
> How to add the collection to my existing collection? What would happen
> if I import the new ones? Would they be copied into the old ones? (It
> would not be the thing I want to do!)
>
> My wish would be to have the following tree:
>
> Album
>
> - HD 1
>
> --- directory 1 to 356
>
> - HD 2
>
> --- directory 1 - X
>
> Thanks in advance for your heldp.
>
> Sorry for the question, but I did not find anythig in the menue that

Settings -> Configure digikam -> collections

There you can just add a collection with a different base directory (or HDD).
Make sure you pick the proper "Add Collection" button (there are three:
for "local collections", collections on removable media, or on network shares)

The way I would do it:
- back up images and digikam databases.
- create the new collection
- move directories from one to the other within digikam (that gives digikam
	at least a fighting chance to keep its databases up-to-date and coherent)

Remco

P.S. Digikam will use only one set of databases for all collections, and that
will stay where you initially created it, no need to change anything there.