MacOS Package backward compatibility...

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 08:45:37 GMT 2018

Hi all,

After a release 5.8.0 for MacOS based on Qt 5.8.0 from an older Macports
install, i made a huge update and now Qt 5.10 come with Macports.

In my MacOS build script the backward compatibility is set to MacOS 10.8...
but Qt 5.10 is only compatible in source code with MacOS 10.10. Qt 5.10 do
not compile :

  https://trac.macports.org/ticket/55774

So, if i want to build the 5.9.0 and all future version of digiKam for
MacOS, i will need to increase the backward compatibility with MacOS 10.0

I can ask to Macports team to try to patch Qt 5.10 to improve the backward
compatibility, but it's not a garantie that all will compile. After all, Qt
compilation break quickly at startup. What's about the rest of Qt code,
which is huge...

The other solution is to compile Qt < 5.10 myself, outside Macports, as
last 5.9.3, but i  will left the Macports support for this package and i
know that Macports provide a lots of patch for Qt under MacOS.

The idea to use a specific version of Qt with Macports introduce the huge
problem of Macports usability to go back to a previous port version. I do
it in the past with OPenCV, and i lost few days of work to make a weird
puzzle. Macports is just not designed to play with a previous version of a
port, that all.

So my question is : a MacOS backward compatibility to 10.10 is acceptable
with digiKam package ?

Best