[digiKam-users] add a nas collection

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Fri Apr 27 10:05:24 BST 2018

On jeudi 26 avril 2018 14:23:17 CEST Daniel Mikl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to add all my photos from my Synology NAS to Digikam by adding
> a new collection.
>
> However, there is no option in the Browser for my NAS. Digikam just lists my
> personal mac folders.
>
> My NAS is connected and I see it in Finder, but it doesn't pop up at Digikam
> Install window.

As far as I can tell, Digikam only sees mounted directories, and initially
shows your home directory, at least under Linux. You can browse up to "/", the
system root directory (click on the directory bar at the top).

The file manager does show a list of (mounted) network directories: I see the
directories on the NAS under their "NAS" names, but they are *also* mounted in
my local directory tree.

So if (the relevant directory on) your NAS is visible in Finder, you should
try to find the mount point on your system. If the NAS directory isn't mounted,
you can mount the remote directory somewhere (there should be a way to do that
automatically on system startup or login). (iirc correctly, MacOS is based on
a BSD variant, not linux, So while they are similar, there might be differences
in how this kind of things is handled)

@Gilles Caulier: Seeing this surprised me a bit, I'd expect remote directories
to handled a bit like in Dolphin, where they are also accessible in a separate
list panel. Now I could easily get the impression that there is no difference
between remote and local collections.

Remco