digiKam freezes when scanning a new collection

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sun Jan 22 11:59:33 GMT 2017

Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I have a Core i5 CPU with 4 cores and when I add a collection from an
> > external hard drive, digiKam becomes unresponsive.
> >
> > Would it be possible touse a separate thread to scan new collections?
> >

> All is multithreaded in digiKam : scan items and database registration.
>
> If you use a remote database, network latency can be a problem. Didi you
> try to use a local database ?

Well I see exactly the same issue when adding a big block of new
directories to digikam.  I have a similar CPU and 8Gb RAM with digikam
running under Linux.  The digikam window simply freezes until it has
scanned the new directories.

It's not noticeable when adding small collections as it only takes a
fraction of a second to scan and add them, it's only noticeable when
adding a big block of thousands of images.

I'm doing this all on an internal disk drive by the way.

--
Chris Green
ยท