Digikam raw files and darktable

Juan Jose Casafranca jjcasmar at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 14:22:25 GMT 2017

On sábado, 7 de enero de 2017 15:14:09 (CET) Gilles Caulier wrote:
> > On sábado, 7 de enero de 2017 15:03:38 (CET) Gilles Caulier wrote:
> > > As i explain before, ALL thumbnails generated by digiKam are stored in a
> > > dedicated database (sqlite or Mysql).
> > >
> > > The thumbnails are stored using wavelets compression format PGF to
> >
> > optimize
> >
> > > space. In older DK version (3 for ex), we use FreeDesktop way with PNG
> > > which explode storage for huge collection and take a while to store
> > > thumbnails files. Also FreeDesktop recommendations is only limited to
> > > 256x256, which is not enough for Hdpi screen (digiKam can store 512x512
> >
> > and
> >
> > > perhaps more in the future with 8K screen).
> >
> > Okay. But there is no need to change anything in DK for storing
> > thumbnails.
> > The only thing needed is to change the way thumbnails are generated and
> > updated for raw files.
> >
> > Simply, when DK finds a new raw file, instead of loading the embedded jpg
> > file,
> > simply call the raw processor and generate the new file. And when the
> > thumbnail
> > is dirty (as I explained before), regenerate the thumbnail.
>
> But this is already the case. We use already a raw decoder named libraw to
> process RAW thumbnails. We will not using another one... Stop to puzzle the
> code
>
> Gilles Caulier

So you are telling me that if we want to process a raw file and manage a
library with DK, we have to stay with the simply DK raw processor instead of
using a much more powerful one like darktable? Do you really think that people
out there use the DK raw processor to process their images?

Even more, I have just tried to convert a raw image to BW, and yes, I can
convert it, but the raw thumbnail is not updated accordingly...