[Digikam-users] Tags not written to XMP sidecar?

Anders Kamf digikam at kamf.se
Sun May 22 16:01:00 BST 2016

Hi,

Thanks for your reply Tobias! I'm afraid it doesn't solve the problem or
answers the questions though.

I indeed write meta data to JPG files, including tags, have done so since
2009 and it works very well. Sidecar files are created by digikam for files
it cannot write meta data into, e.g. video files, the settings was
described in my initial post. It is from those Filename.mp4.xmp or
Filename.mov.xmp I have tried with both exiv2 and exiftool to extract the
tags.

I'm moving files from my laptop to my server once I have done tagging etc
(laptop is used because I travel a lot). I usually use rsync, i.e. the move
is done outside digikam. The photo collection on my servers is accessed
with "another" digikam from a desktop PC (Windows) and from a stand alone
Ubuntu (both with setting "Read from sidecar files)". Both have their own
digikam database, hence all the meta data needs to travel with the files.

The main question, I'd guess, is whether to expect that the meta data of
the xmp file corresponds to the one of the jpg file in terms of tags,
rating etc.?

Regards
Anders