[Digikam-users] DigiKam and ACDSee

Alan Pater alan.pater at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 12:19:45 GMT 2015

Francis, our friend over at exiv2 -- Robin Mills -- has sent me a Perl
script that outputs the desired result, both with my example and
yours. For your example it returns: 5 level|5.3 Level. So at least it
works on individual samples.

It is possible that in the ACDSee database, there was a "5.2 Level"
element, but if that is not in the metadata written to the image, we
have no way of knowing what it was or of it's existence. The same
issue arises with images categorized in Lightroom and it's
hierarchical tags.

However, rebuilding the complete structure of an original ACDSee or
Lightroom hierarchical database out of a bunch of individual images a
much bigger task. I wonder if those programs are capable of that? And
what would be the structure of the internal database?

In any case, converting from xmp.acdsee.categories to
xmp.lr.hierarchicalSubject or xmp.mwg-kw.keywords is very doable.

Alan